Monday, March 12, 2012

10 Reasons the Sock Bun has changed my life...and will change yours too!

One of my {many} favorite things about Pinterest are the amazing hair tutorials I find. I am generally a pretty low maintenance girl in the beauty department. The hubby will tell you it takes me forever (in guy time) to get ready {my hair takes a long time to dry and my waves need taming...it's out of my control!}, but I don't fuss with fancy hair styling on the average day, or wear much makeup. 

Pinterest has taught me to do some of the things I like, without all the high-maintenance work...shortcuts really. One of the best tutorials I have found is this sock bun tutorial (they are not all the same method - and this is not the sock bun curls method - which made me look like I stuck my finger in a light socket...not my best look. Maybe I need to give it one more try to rule out user error). I have also done the sock bun by keeping the sock unrolled and putting it over my ponytail like a tube, then rolling it from the top down - both ways work for me. It takes an otherwise skimpy sloppy potentially boring style and gives it lots of volume, with some sophistication and class. It can be as polished or as messy bed-head {see photo below!} as you want. It is awesome. And as dramatic as it sounds, it has truly been life-changing.

Here are 10 reasons why:


1.
It is EASY. You can do this style in literally 30 seconds {once you have it mastered}.
2. It is awesome for trying to stretch hair an extra day between shampoos {the last stylist I saw said I should only be washing my hair 2-3 times per week! He said my hair would actually adjust and produce less oil. I'm not quite there, but I am trying to go longer stretches when I can}
3. It is great for a working mom who wants a quick polished style.
4. It is great for a stay-at-home mom who wants any style a quick way to feel pulled together.
5. It makes me feel like I have voluminous hair out of a magazine ad. I have to reach back and feel my bun several times per day in awe of it's size girth oh you know what I mean.
6. It is a fabulous way to recycle a sock that has lost it's mate.
7. I get lots of compliments on it. I love telling people there is a sock on my head and watching their faces.
8. You could get away with doing your hair the night before and would just need a few quick bobbypin touch-ups to it in the morning. {I have not tried this per say, but when I tried the disastrous sock bun curls, I noticed before I took the bun out how well it had stayed in place after sleeping on it all night}
9. It can multi-task - it's the "do" for all occasions. Kid's dance class, date night, girl's night, client meeting, job interview, trip to the zoo, lazy day, busy day...you get the idea.
10. It is Pacific NW winter weather friendly. We live in a climate with lots of rain. My hair does fine in this when it is left to it's curly/wavy devices. But most of the time I prefer to straighten or curling iron it, which does not bode well on wet days. This style stays in place, doesn't frizz out, and feels more pulled together than a ponytail.

There you have it, my 10 reasons for loving the sock bun almost as much as nap time. Let me know if this works as good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment