Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The BEST homemade granola bars ever!

I really like to make as many homemade items as I can. Especially convenience food. I like to know exactly what goes into what I am eating and feeding my family, and I really like being able to pronounce every ingredient and know where it came from.

I also really like Quaker chewy granola bars though. So, I started trying granola bar recipes to see if I could make something just as good at home. These are the best ones I have found and they are not just as good as quaker - they are WAY BETTER!! They are also incredibly easy and quick to make, and save for a few weeks in the pantry if individually wrapped (though they barely make it a week in our house). Depending on your level of chew or crunch desire, you can tweak this to fit perfectly. I like mine chewy with a little crunch and following the recipe time exactly yields those results for me. I have overcooked them before and ended up with crunchier ones (think Nature Valley style), and I would imagine if you under-cooked them a smidge they would be even chewier without much crunch at all.

I adapted this recipe {from the fabulous Weelicious} slightly - leaving out the coconut, and being a bit more generous with the chocolate chips (chocolate makes everything better!). Otherwise, I followed this recipe near perfect. If you have not checked out Weelicious before, you really should. Everything I have tried of hers has been amazing, and mostly health conscious without sacrificing taste.


Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (makes about 30 bars)

4 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup (generously overfilled!) Chocolate Chips
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Honey

Preheat oven to 325 F.
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
Place granola mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about 13 x 9 x 1 inch thick.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes then cut into 3 x 1 inch bars.
Wrap individually and they will keep up to a few weeks.


Freshly baked and cut into bars...


Individually wrapped (I used Glad Press 'n' Seal)


My kids love them, and hubby and I love them just as much, or maybe even more. I keep meaning to try a variation with dried fruit - maybe diced dried apples with cinnamon, or raisins, dark chocolate and dried cherry...the possibilities are endless, though every time I go to make them, the chocolate chips are winking at me in the cupboard. And for some reason, I feel less guilty eating chocolate when it is packaged in a fairly wholesome granola bar.

Enjoy and let me know what you think of these - I quit trying granola bar recipes once I found these ones - they are that good.

4 comments:

  1. How many cups of oats? It doesn't actually say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 cups. It shows on my screen... were you looking on your phone? The formatting can get weird sometimes and on mine the "4" was scrunched up by the photo.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried freezing these? I want to make large batches tp freeze for school lunchs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't Jessica. If you give it a try, let me know how that works! Great idea!!

      Delete